Monday, April 22, 2013

Seasons of Farm Life

https://www.facebook.com/ForSuchASeason
Small town farm life is like no other way of living. It is a close knit community where everyone knows your name and every detail about your life. Each season there is something different to do. In the spring we fertilize the fields and pastures then begin to plant our crops. In the summer we cut and bale hay and harvest our winter wheat. In the fall we harvest our corn and soy beans. And in the winter we hay cows, break ice in the ponds so the cows can drink, vaccinate cows, cut wood and have our calving season. There is no rest for the weary on a farm.

In the late spring, when the fireflies begin to appear, the trees and flowers are in full bloom, it is just breath taking. My husband picks wild flowers and brings me a handful home once or twice a week. The first week of August there is always a meteor shower and we take a gallon of tea, put down the tailgate on the truck and sit and watch a clear star filled sky light up with shooting stars. In the fall I love spending the evening riding in the combine with my husband, drinking coffee, listening to old time country music and watching the wildlife play. With the winter comes the snow and everything turns into a clean white blanket with ice sickles hanging from the trees. Everywhere you look there are bright red cardinals. I don’t think I could pick one season and say it is my favorite. I love each season for different reasons.


No comments:

Post a Comment