We chose a social worker based on the recommendation of friends. She has done several home studies for other church members and they went well, so we decided that she would meet our needs. After contacting her, she emailed the following forms to complete:
- Employment References
- Educational References (which we didn't need because our kids are homeschooled)
- Medical Evaluations (for every member of the home)
- Income/Expense/Financial Worksheets
- An autobiography written by each of us addressing our upbringing, hobbies, lifestyle, etc.
In addition, we had to provide the following documents:
- Marriage Certificate
- Birth Certificates for every child currently in the home
- Criminal Record (fingerprinting by local law enforcement)
- Last 3 pay stubs from each of us
During the interview, she asked many questions. She asked about our parenting styles, our marriage and relationship, how we handle disagreements, and how we would handle any special needs our child may have. She then asked each of the girls about themselves and what they thought of us adopting. After that, the social worker took a quick walk around the house and asked how we will accommodate our new family member. She spent about 1 1/2 hours at the house and then asked us to complete a form for a child abuse background check. With that complete, she left and let me know that we would hear back from her in a couple of weeks.
I was very relieved to have that part out of the way.