Monday, April 29, 2013

Friends


Friends, what a vague word. We use it to describe such a large group of people in our lives. The dictionary defines a friend as, 1. A person whom one knows, likes, and trusts; an acquaintance. 2. A person with whom one is allied in a struggle. 3. A person attached to another by feelings of affection or personal regard. 4. A person who gives assistance; patron; supporter. To me a friend is all of the above and then some. They are also someone you can disagree with and they respect your honesty. Someone you do not have to smile for, when you really feel like crying. They are those that you can talk to without telling them this is just between the two of you, because that goes without saying. They are the ones that will stand next to you in the worst of time or beside you even when you are wrong. If you miss step, they wait until you are in private to tell you that you messed up.

A lot of people feel as if they have to be invited to every party, event, and be the center of attention surrounded by groups of friends. But to me, I would much rather have two or three friends than a room full of what I call, friends for appearance sake. My phone does not have to ring off the hook and my schedule does not have to be full for me to know that I am important to my friends. I am more interested in the quality of the people I call friends that the quantity. I believe I am a great friend, but I know I cannot be a great friend to a lot of people. My friends know that I am always there for them, no matter what time it is, the distance between us or the situation and I know my friends feel the same way about me. I have hundreds of people in my life that I often interact with, but I save the title of friend for those few special people in my life.




No comments:

Post a Comment