This year I decided to try something very different. Before doing anything else, I chose a word. Not a phrase or even a hyphenated word. Drumroll, please....my word is FOCUS. I have a few, very specific goals for all aspects of my life that work together in 2014. To do this, I chose the one area of my life that I want to focus on and the goal in that area is my number one overall goal. The goals in all other areas of my life must work towards that one main goal to help me improve in that one area. In doing this, I found that something that would have been a goal in other years hasn't gone away, but has a new place in my life. A more appropriate place. This new layout helps me become more FOCUSED and more productive in the coming year.
When I latched onto this idea of having a word to guide me through the year, I didn't stop with me. My kids and husband have also chosen words. They chose grace, self-image, joy, and listen. Here are some ways to help us FOCUS on our words throughout the year:
- Prayerfully choose a meaningful word.
- Keep a journal of your word. Jot down scriptures, quotes, and sayings that use this word or remind you of the word. This is a place to record anything that comes up regarding this word.
- Create a visual representation of the word and put it somewhere you will see it often. Create several if you like for your car, desk, bathroom mirror, fridge, etc.
- Invite someone to join with you on your journey. Even if they choose a different word (there are countless choices, after all), you can encourage each other.
- To get our journals started, we wrote down the definition, synonyms and antonyms.
- Be on the lookout for your word throughout the year.
Here's to a focused new year!