Wednesday, July 17, 2013

Walking a Tightrope

While at a homeschool conference, we visited a booth filled with toys and activities aimed at boys.  One of the things that caught my husband's eye was a tightrope, not just because of the points he would score with the kids if he put it up, but also because he already had everything he needed to build it laying in our garage.  Fast forward a couple of months and I found myself walking across a tightrope in our front yard last night.  I have to say that it was pretty cool, especially because the tightrope is within the allowed list for our currently-restricted daredevil. 
It has been fun to watch the kids figure how to get across the tightrope and also the stunts they've already dreamed up.  The kids help each other by holding the hand of the person crossing or sitting on the tightrope to hold it still.  They have also used rakes as poles to steady themselves as they cross.  As for stunts, one kid will create an obstacle for the other to cross over or shake the tightrope for the other person.  I'm expecting many hours of enjoyment from this recycled equipment.
While watching my kids play on their tightrope, I realized that I too am walking a tightrope.  Just like we built a tightrope for the kids last night, I have built several tightropes for myself.  Some of my tightropes will be in my life a long time and some are temporary.  Regardless of which tightrope I'm crossing at any given moment, I have people and tools to help me get across and I have obstacles (sometimes people) that will make the journey difficult.  There are a few keys I have learned about getting across the tightrope successfully:
  • Learn which people are there to help and which are there to simply get in the way. Beloved, do not believe every spirit, but test the spirits to see whether they are from God, for many false prophets have gone out into the world. 1 John 4:1 
  • Know how to use each tool in the way that is most beneficial.  Don't be afraid to put aside tools that aren't helping. But test everything; hold fast what is good. 1 Thessalonians 5:21
  • Sometimes it's best to run and other times crawling will get you there faster. Let us not become weary in doing good, for at the proper time we will reap a harvest if we do not give up. Galatians 6:9
  • When you fall, get back up. But they who wait for the LORD shall renew their strength; they shall mount up with wings like eagles; they shall run and not be weary; they shall walk and not faint. Isaiah 40:31
  • Enjoy the journey. May the God of hope fill you with all joy and peace in believing, so that by the power of the Holy Spirit you may abound in hope. Romans 15:13

No comments:

Post a Comment