Monday, February 3, 2014

Bucket List

I'm part of this crazy fun and inspiring group that encourages each other to set and accomplish goals 30 days at a time.  Every day we are given a topic to address regarding the goal we set and then the conversation explodes.  One of the guys in the group has a goal that involves helping people check things off of their bucket lists. 

In all honesty, I have never written a bucket list.  A few years back, when we knew that we were moving out of California, we allowed our daughters to make a bucket list.  It went something like this:
  1. Spend the night at Grandma & Papa's house
  2. Calico Ghost Town
  3. Rain Forest Café
  4. Go to the movies (apparently they were worried that Missouri didn't have movie theatres)
  5. Disneyland
  6. John's Incredible Pizza
  7. Visit Ms. Brenda's horses
  8. Victor Valley Mall playground
  9. Round Table Pizza
  10. Play with the neighbors at Grandma & Papa's house
Some of my friends do bucket lists with their kids, like a Christmas bucket list, summer bucket list or vacation bucket list.  For me, there's something about the term bucket list that makes me feel old and so I avoid making a bucket list.  I think it's because I never heard the term until I saw the movie The Bucket List

As I face another birthday this year (which is much better than not facing another birthday) and my kids are getting old enough that I feel like I'm running out of time to do everything with them before they move out, a bucket list is beginning to form in my head.  It's more of a list of things to do before the kids move out, but we'll call it a bucket list because that name is much shorter.
  1. Travel through New England in the autumn
  2. Take a cruise to Alaska (way better than flying or driving there)
  3. Take our family to Taiwan to visit our son's birth family
  4. Write a children's book (or five)
  5. Get all of our pictures scrapbooked/organized/labeled (this will be really simple now that I have Picture My Life)
  6. Share our family's story because someone needs to hear it
  7. Learn to play the guitar
  8. Be debt-free
  9. Organize my grandma's writings and drawings into a book
  10. Take my kids to all 50 states (preferably by car because you can see so much more, but train or plane would be ok too)
What is on your bucket list?

No comments:

Post a Comment